Localization is supported as a core feature in GraphCMS. In your project settings you can define how many locales you want to support, choosing from a range of common defaults to providing custom locales as well.
Locales function by creating localized fields on the document model, not creating a duplication of the content. You can stage, eventually version and evolve localized content entries with "per field" granularity.
Support for more than 1 Locale is a paid upgrade. See pricing for further details.
Working with Locales and Localization
For further information on querying content by locale, see the reference guide on APIs.
- Navigate to the settings icon in the bottom group of icons in the left-hand sidebar.
- Navigate to "Locales" in the collapsible sidebar.
- Create a display name or choose from the list of industry standards.
- Create an API ID or accept the default suggestion of an industry standard.
- Press "Add" to create the locale.
You can create custom locales such as a system translation or an invented short-hand.
- Navigate to the locale settings.
- Next to one of the existing locales is a "delete" button.
- Press "delete" to remove the locale.
Enabling Translation for a Field
- Enter the configuration settings for a field on a model in the schema editor.
- Toggle "Localize Field."
The field will inherit all the locales configured in settings.
Adding a Translation to a Field
- Enter the content editor for a model.
- In the contextual sidebar on the right, press the "+" icon to add a locale variant to all all field in the content entry that support localization.
Show / Hide Translated Fields
You can toggle the "eye" icon on the left of a locale on a content entry to show / hide the localized fields.
Were you expecting something more?
We are constantly contributing to our documentation, but if you spot something we're missing, let us know and we'll be sure to add it.